Water, like oxygen, is essential for life. You can only survive 3-5 days without water! Besides helping to maintain life, water performs several other important roles throughout the human body, including:
- Transporting glucose and oxygen into your muscles.
- Serving as a critical component of your brain, blood, muscles, and bones.
- Aiding digestion of food, helping to convert it to energy you can use.
- Removing metabolic byproducts like carbon dioxide from your hard-working muscles.
- Regulating body temperature, especially during your workouts when your muscles generate 20 times more heat energy than a body at rest.